Decatur, GA — DeKalb County Government is partnering with local faith leaders to distribute 5,000 boxes of 100 percent Georgia-grown fruits and vegetables, eggs, and chicken hindquarters on Saturday, June 18, a press release said. Additionally, there will be juice boxes and single-serve cereal for children. Residents will receive about $45 worth of food on a first-come, first-served basis.
“Metro Atlanta is experiencing the second highest inflation rates in the nation, and groceries are costing more and more every day,” DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond said.
Overall, inflation increased 8.6 percent in the past year, the largest increase in 40 years, according to the Consumer Price Index Summary released June 10, the press release said. In the past year, egg prices have increased 32.2 percent, meats have increased 14.2 percent, and fruits and vegetables have increased 8.2 percent, according to the index.
“DeKalb County our faith partners and Georgia farmers are working together to help mitigate the impact of food insecurity,” CEO Thurmond said.
On Saturday, June 18, beginning at 9 a.m., food distributions will be held at the following locations:
– New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, 6400 Woodrow Road, Stonecrest, GA 30038
– Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
– Beulah Missionary Baptist Church, 2340 Clifton Springs Rd., Decatur, GA 30034
– Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
– The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA 30032
– Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA 30035
– Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Highway, Tucker GA 30084
The county is utilizing federal American Rescue Plan funds to purchase the produce and chicken. Since May 2020, DeKalb County has distributed 78,000 boxes of food.
The Tucker Observer is a community news website owned by Decaturish.com. We provide locally sourced news about Tucker, Clarkston and Stone Mountain.
Want the latest news from the Tucker Observer delivered to your inbox every morning? Click here to sign up for our free daily newsletter.
To become a paying supporter of Tucker Observer, click here.